Welcome to our new feature where every month we will highlight one of our amazing local producers. Keeping with the theme of the Year of Food and Drink – July is month of ‘Seas, Rivers and Loughs’ our first feature is DONEGAL PRIME FISH.
Given our geographical ‘prime’ location on the North coast we are so lucky to have some of the sweetest tasting fish, thanks to our cold atlantic waters. And back in the 1980s Reggie Ryan certainly knew it when he started Donegal Prime Fish. The business began in a humble shed beside Greencastle Pier but moved into Derry as the demand grew North of the border.
After an illness in 2006 sadly Reggie passed away, leaving behind his wife Dorothy and three daughters Emma, Grace and Laura. Determined to carry on with the business they immersed themselves fully in it. I caught up with Emma, Dorothy and their manager Patsy to find out the top 5 ‘fishy’ things you need to know about this family business…
- They handle between 7 and 8000 kilos of fish weekly from their premises at Skeoge. The fish comes directly off the boats at Greencastle, is prepared at Skeoge and delivered straight to restaurants! Location Map here
- They won a Great taste award for their Irish Silver Smoked Salmon using dust from Oak trees so synonymous with Derry.
- They sell what Dorothy jokingly refers to as ‘the incredible shrinking fish’! Orange Roughy, which when cooked dramatically shrinks in size and is one of the most unusual fish they stock, along with blue mouth red fish.
- Dorothys favourite fish dish is fresh haddock, pan fried. She rightly believes in keeping keeping it simple so you can taste the full flavour and quality of the fish . Emma favours lemon sole, although she also revealed a penchant for some of our Fiorentinis gorgeous fish and chips!
- They supply to the majority of restaurants on the ‘Made in Derry’ food tour. So if you want to taste the amazing fresh fish, cooked by our wonderful local chefs – come on tour! Available dates here
[Image Discover NI]
Donegal prime fish delivers Northern Ireland wide and they have been awarded a salsa approved supplier accreditation. You can buy the same quality fish as supplied to our top restaurants direct from their premise in Skeoge industrial Estate.
Facebook Donegal Prime Fish
Phone 02871350059 / 07738802078